A list of self-discovery journal prompts and deep writing prompts about life for reflection and inspiration
Journaling is like talking to yourself. It’s the moment to tune in with your thoughts and dig deep into your mind.
It’s also the best time to reflect on life and learn from it. According to The University of Rochester Medical Center, journaling also boosts mental health by providing an opportunity for positive self-talk.
However, most of those who quit journaling at some point didn’t stop because they couldn’t see the benefits of journaling. They just don’t know what to write about.
I get it. A blank page can be intimidating. I’ve been using this list of journal prompts for self-discovery for some time and find it particularly helpful for journaling beginners just like me.
These thought-provoking journaling prompts have made writing a diary a relaxing self-exploration process. So if you want to know yourself better as well, definitely try it!
Table Of Content
- Journal prompts for the presence
- Journal prompts to rediscover the past
- Journal prompts to cultivate mindfulness
- Journal prompts to find your true passion
- Journal prompts about strengths
- Journal prompts to know your weakness
- Journal prompts about relationship
- Journal prompts to find your purpose
Journal prompts for the presence
- How will you describe yourself?
- Describe one of the best days you have recently.
- List all the things that make you happy today, big or small.
- How do you feel about your body?
- What do you want to do with your free time today?
- What is the habit that you keep for the longest time?
- If you can only keep 3 things you have, what will they be and why?
- Describe a life-changing moment.
- What is going well in your life right now?
- If you are to tattoo a quote, what will that be?
- How will you describe yourself to a complete stranger?
- What are you most grateful for at the moment?
- Money, family, health, how do you prioritize?
- What worries you the most currently?
- What do you do today to take care of yourself?
- Describe one of your hobbies.
- What keeps you awake at night?
Journal prompts to rediscover the past
- What is your first Instagram post about.
- Were you a happy kid?
- What do you regret the most? What would you do differently if given a second chance?
- If you meet a friend that you haven’t seen in 10 years, how will you tell him/her about your life right now?
- Do you have any trauma that you never heal from?
- Describe your happiest day in childhood.
- What have you lied about? Why?
- If you can time travel, what will you tell your teenage self?
- What is the greatest life lesson you’ve learned?
- Who do you hate the most? What have they done to you?
- Write down one thing that you can not let go of.
- Write a letter to someone that has done you wrong.
- What is the biggest mistake you’ve ever made?
- Write a thank you letter to someone.
- If you are to tell your child your story, what will that be?
Journal prompts to cultivate mindfulness
- How do you make decisions? By heart or with logical analysis?
- What do you do on a bad day?
- What is your MBTI personality type?
- Do you believe faith is powerful? Why and why not?
- What are your distractions?
- How do you cope with stress?
- What is your wildest fantasy?
- What is one thing about you that no one knows?
- How do you deal with anger?
- Write down the lyrics that keeps looping in your head.
- Describe a relieving moment.
- Write about a change that makes your life better.
- If you can wipe something out from your mind, what will that be?
- Do you want to live forever? Why?
Journal prompts to find your true passion
- What is the one thing you are excited about?
- What will you do on a day-off?
- Describe something makes you proud.
- Any future plans you are excited about?
- What makes you lose track of the time?
- What is your favorite book?
- Given enough time, where will you go and what will you do there?
- Describe a detail in a movie that you can’t forget.
- Make a bucket list.
- My life won’t be complete without ______ .
Journal prompts about strength
- What are the things you do better than people around you?
- What is the skill you have that come as a surprise to others?
- How will you describe your biggest strength?
- Write about an experience that you stand up for someone else.
- What cheers you up on a bad day?
- Describe your dream job.
- Write about the most glorious moment in your life so far.
- What makes you unique?
- Think of the last time you solve a problem. How did you do it?
- Write about a moment you feel brave.
Journal prompts to know your weakness
- What is the thing that’s been dragging you back?
- Is there anything you always want but haven’t? Why?
- What is your biggest fear?
- What are the risks in your life? Given what you need, how will you tackle them?
- What has your partner or family complained about you?
- What makes you angry?
- What do you want to change about yourself?
- What is one piece of advice that turned out to be helpful?
- What is keeping you from your dream?
- What is the worst you’ve done?
- What superhero are you?
Read also: 23 questions to boost self-awareness
Journal prompts about relationship
- How do you tell if someone can be your friend?
- What are the qualities you value in a friend?
- How will you describe your soulmate?
- List the qualities of the person you want to spend your life with.
- Describe your best friend.
- Who do you miss at the moment?
- What are your feelings towards parents?
- If you could only bring one person with you to Mars on the apocalypse, who would that be?
- Describe the worst breakup you had. How did you heal from it?
- Have you “lost your mind” for anyone? What do you feel about him/her now?
- If you can marry a celebrity, who and why?
- Are you comfortable being alone?
- What animal would you spend the rest of your life with?
- Describe someone who makes you feel relaxed.
- Do you believe love on first sight? Why?
- What support do you need that will instantly make your life easier?
- Do you believe in eternal love? Why?
- How do you describe your present relationship status?
Journal prompts to find your purpose
- Who do you want to be?
- How do you want to be remembered?
- What difference do you want to make in the world?
- How will you picture yourself in 10/20/50 years?
- What will you do with $50,000,000?
- Write your own epitaph.
- What is your life purpose?
- Who do you admire? What will you say to him/her if possible?
- If you can be one celebrity, who will that be?
- If you can solve a problem of your country, what is that?
- What will make the world a better place?
Here are all the thought-provoking journal prompts for self-discovery.
Leave a comment or drop me a mail to tell me what you think!