Self-love is the foundation of all loves. Explore the meaning and benefits of self-love, and learn how to practice self-love in your day-to-day.
Love is what we all want to pursue. And being loved is a strong affirmation that we are worthy of something.
But relying on external sources for love and compassion might be dangerous and would sometimes get us blindfolded. That’s why we should all be loving ourselves before loving anyone else.
When you love yourself enough, you are setting a standard for how you want yourself to be treated. But self-love may bring you more.
What Is Self-Love？
Self-love means the love for oneself, which is the appreciation for ourselves as a person. And it doesn’t limit to a piece of chocolate brownie or a solo vacation now and then. It goes deeper than the surface. So what is self-love?
Self-love is loving yourself whole-heartedly and objectively, which means:
- Knowing your strength and weaknesses
- Validating your emotions and valuing mental health
- Embracing your imperfections
- Prioritizing your needs
- Patience with your personal growth
- Forgiving and learning from your past mistakes
It’s worth noting that sometimes we do things in the name of self-love but may hurt ourselves in the long run. So what is NOT self-love?
- Arrogance. Just because you love yourself doesn’t mean you should diminish the value of others.
- Selfishness. You can prioritize your needs but at the same time take others into consideration.
- Overindulgence. While an ice cream or two doesn’t hurt, letting your desires or cravings get the best of you is irresponsible to yourself.
Why Self-Love Should Come First
Self Love is no magic. It’s an attitude and it takes practices. Our goals will not be achieved in a sec just because we start to “love ourselves”.
But what self-love can bring might be beyond imagination.
1. The way you love yourself defines how you want to be treated in a relationship
By taking care of yourself and appreciate yourself, you project an image of an independent character in a relationship. When you don’t need external affirmations to assure your value, you set the standard. You will not be afraid of being left alone because you know you deserve the best.
2. Loving yourself enables you to love others in a better way.
By loving yourself, you eliminate the unnecessary jealousy, insecurity, and anger from your relationship.
Because you have learned how to appreciate yourself, you are more capable of appreciating others as well. You know how to be the best version of yourself and that helps to bring out the attractiveness and charism within you.
5 Amazing benefits of self-love
Aside from its influences on intimate relationships, self-love can benefit us in various aspects of life. It might be the best investment because a little effort every day can result in a huge improvement in our holistic health.
Here are 5 instant benefits that come with self-love:
1. Less Stress and Anxiety
When we love ourselves, we are less likely to be trapped in self-denial because of the current situation or minor failures.
It removes the fear of being rejected and thus helps reduce stress and anxiety.
2. Higher Level of Satisfaction
Practicing self-love regularly not only strengthens our self-appreciation but also help us to see the world in another way. We are more likely to enjoy the real happiness in life such as love from our family, personal achievement or acts of kindness.
At the same time, pure pleasure will have less control over our mind. So for people with addictions, cultivating self-love would essential.
3. A Boost in Attractiveness
Confidence is probably the first change we will see when we start to appreciate ourselves.
It helps to remove the mental blockage of communicating with others as well as expressing ourselves.
According to the Law of Attraction, when we are more confident and actually believe in our beauty, we will more likely to attract positivity and the love we want.
4. Stronger Motivation
Have you ever felt lacking the energy to hit the gym or go to work as you were supposed to? Don’t criticize yourself being lazy. Chances are you are under-motivated.
Maybe you are not clear about your goal. Maybe you feel impossible to reach it or maybe you are just tired.
With a high level of self-awareness, you are more aware of the “low battery” signals. And it gives us a chance to recharge before burning out.
5. Health and Personal Growth
Self-growth is the best thing that happens on the trail of self-love. When you value yourself and care about your happiness and well-being, you are less likely to allow the toxic relationships or bad habits to stay in your way.
Keeping a healthy diet, learning a new language, playing music and even the tiniest good can fill your life with content and enlightenment.
How to practice self-love
If you are new to the concept of self-love, here is how you can practice self-love in your day-to-day:
- Practice affirmations. Learn to talk positively to yourself.
- Look at the mirror and learn to love your body.
- Say no to the flavors you don’t want to do.
- Do what you need to do before you help someone else.
- Do one thing at a time and stop rushing through tasks.
- Stop comparing yourself to others.
- Unfollow social accounts that set unrealistic expectations.
- Practice mindfulness with meditation or breathing exercises.
- Set healthy boundaries in relationships and at work.
- Identify toxic relationships or fake friendships, and leave them for good.
- Do a brain dump and unload your burdens on paper.
- Do an introspection to know more about yourself.
- Ask for help when you need to.
- Stop requiring yourself to meet the social standards of beauty and success.
- Find a passion or pursue a hobby.
- Develop a good morning routine to start the day off strong.
- Embrace a clean, healthy, and doable diet and make it a lifestyle.
- Exercise regularly to feel good, not just to look good.
- Evaluate your finance, figure out your current net worth and make a savings plan accordingly.
- Declutter your living space and workspace.
- Spend some time on self-care every day.