A list of core values to identify your own
What is important for you in your life? Money? Love? Freedom?
There are so many different values, and everyone’s list is different. So what are your core values and how to find them?
I listened to the Savvy Psychologist podcast some time ago. Dr. Jade Wu talked about how core values can help to navigate your life. It takes me back to my previous job when I worked for a mobile game company.
I put in a great effort for promotion. But I didn’t feel accomplished when I actually got one. I felt lost. Now that after listening to the podcast, I realize my job didn’t align with my core values – creativity and service. I wasn’t creating anything nor did I help anyone through my work. And that’s why I was not happy.
So here it is. I make a list of life values and how to determine they are your core values. I hope this list will help you to find the meaning of your life and to fuel your motivation.
What are the core values?
Merriam-webster defines the word value as relative worth, utility, or importance. Core life values in this way, are things that are important to an individual, those that outweigh other aspects of life.
There’s one thing that Dr. Jade Wu mentioned, and I couldn’t agree more: goals are not values.
A goal can be “I want to make more money.” But underneath this goal, there may be a supporting value. Why do we want to make more money? Do we want to be able to travel or provide our family? Values are the driving forces behind goals.
We can have a lot of goals, but only a few core values. Sometimes if you don’t feel as excited as expected when you reach your goals, your goals might not align with your values.
If your core life value is family, getting a promotion in the sacrifice of quality family time may not make you happy. That’s why it’s so important to identify your core life values: it helps us make the right decisions.
Core value list and how to identify your own
Health is your core value if you:
- Are aware of how healthy you are
- Build healthy habits and quit bad ones
- Keep a work-life balance
Relationship is your core value if you:
- Make effort to spend quality time with friends and family.
- Need to be close to people you love.
- Will do everything in your power to create a better life for your family.
Kindness is your core value if you:
- Believe that everyone deserves to be loved.
- Care about others’ well-being or are engaged in acts of kindness.
- Are allergic to hate speech and mean words.
Happiness is your core value if you:
- Prioritize things that bring you the most joy.
- Pay close attention to your emotional well-being.
Creativity is your core value if you:
- Are passionate about making something from scratch.
- Express yourself in creating art, music, writing, etc.
Fitness is your core value if you:
- Are active and exercise regularly.
- Put in the work to stay fit and strong.
Gratitude is your core value if you:
- Take time to express thankfulness to others.
- Don’t take the basics for granted.
- Believe that every day is a gift.
Career is your core value if you:
- Have high professional goals.
- Want to make a positive impact on others through your work.
- Enjoy making progress and are willing to put in the work.
Adventure is your core value if you:
- Love traveling and exploring new places.
- Have a bucket list of places to go and things to do.
- Feel at ease in completely strange environments.
Security is your core value if you:
- Work hard to build a strong financial foundation.
- Are not a fan of taking risks.
- Need to feel assured in relationships
Honesty and Integrity
Honesty and Integrity are your core values if you:
- Speak your mind and stand behind your words.
Growth is your core value if you:
- Love to learn.
- Believe that one can be their best version through education.
- Focus on progress, not perfection.
Service is your core value if you:
- Aim to bring value to others in life or at work.
- Find meaning in making people’s lives better.
Contribution is your core value if you:
- Strive to make a difference in the world.
- Volunteer to give money, time or energy to help someone in need.
Success is your core value if you:
- Are driven to achieve fame, wealth or respect.
- Aim to exceed expectations.
Self-esteem is your core value if you:
- Make yourself a priority.
- Respect others and expect the same level of respect in return.
- Seek approval from within.
Freedom is your core value if you:
- Want to express yourself freely.
- Cherish and respect your rights as well as the others’.
Faith is your core value if you:
- Have a strong belief system, religious or not.
- Are positive and confident.
Fairness is your core value if you:
- Believe everyone should be treated fairly.
- Are against any form of discriminations.
Fun is your core value if you:
- Spend time doing things that bring you joy.
- Open to spontaneous experiences.
Read also: 64 Funny but inspiring quotes about life
Leadership is your core value if you:
- Have a vision as well as a plan.
- Good at motivating others and help others grow.
- Takes initiatives and responsibilities.
Peacefulness is your core value if you:
- Thrive in a calming atmosphere.
- Prefer non-confrontational solutions.
- Avoid people or situations that put your inner peace at risk.
Curiosity is your core value if you:
- Have a strong desire to learn and explore
- Are always asking why
- Want more than one answer
Power is your core value if you:
- Enjoy being in control or being looked up to.
- Feel at ease at a dominating role.
Stability is your core value if you:
- Thrive in an environment with fewer changes.
- Think long-term when making a decision.
Clarity is your core value if you:
- Dig deep into your thoughts.
- Are constantly asking why.
- Know why you feel and act the way you do.
Confidence is your core value if you:
- Know your worth as well as your imperfections.
- Believe that strong faith will move mountains.
Discipline is your core value if you:
- Have a set of rules you follow.
- Are good at resisting temptations.
Have you found your core life values?
I hope this life value list can help you to find the meaning of your life. Feel free to share your thoughts with me in the comments!